Radiation Monitoring System
- Radiation Monitoring System
Stationary radiation control system developed for the prevention of illicit trafficking and unauthorized movement of radioactive and nuclear materials, and they are use for the following tasks:
· prevention of illicit trafficking and unauthorized movement of radioactive and nuclear materials;
· radiation monitoring of state borders, checkpoints at airports;
· continuous monitoring of the radiation situation within the perimeter defined areas (from local to regional facilities);
· monitoring of radiation-hazardous industrial and construction facilities;
· providing of radiation safety during mass events (summits, national holidays, sporting events, etc.);
· radiation and environmental monitoring;
· rectification of the consequences of nuclear accidents.
One type of radiation safety is mobile radiation monitoring system. These systems are used for equipping of mobile radiation detection (car, helicopter, boat), as well as for the organization of radiation control when placed on port cranes, conveyors and structural elements, etc.
Functions of mobile radiation detection systems:
· detection and localization of radioactive sources and pollution;
· mapping the boundaries of contaminated and polluted land;
· characterization of radioactive contamination;
· sampling and rapid analysis of ground, water and air;
· conducting the verification of equipments on-site objects.
Portable radiation dosimeters and spectrometers are the compact digital devices that provide rapid measurement of all basic quantities characterizing the radiation situation, and work on finding sources of all major types of ionizing radiation.
Portable radiation dosimeters based on the Geiger – Mueller’s principle of operation - sensitive sensor that registers all the radioactive particles passing through it. As a result, in numerical expression, in a special liquid-crystal monitor radiation levels seen in a particular area, the surrounding area or on a particular subject. Unit measure in such dosimeters can be as classic, namely micro-roentgen per hour [mR / h] and microsieverts per hour [mSv / h], which has a corresponding amendment to the effects of radiation on tissue and internal organs. One or another is determined by the choice of a specialist, conducting measurements.
In case of measuring the level of ionizing radiation exceeds a threshold, the device will signal this with the appropriate sound signals, which will differ depending on the level of radiation. In some models, there is a light warning. The threshold level of ionizing radiation you can install yourself, depending on the use of a professional dosimeter. However, it is worth remembering that dangerous levels of radiation should not be ignored when programming the device. However, it is worth remembering that dangerous levels of radiation should not be ignored when programming the device.
Portable spectrometers allow:
· Scan, detection, localization of gamma and neutron emission, and alpha / beta radiation if there are detectors corresponding type;
· quickly and accurately measure levels of gamma radiation and neutron radiation intensity;
· accurately measure the flux density of alpha / beta particles from contaminated surfaces.